New dedicated Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo website

“We are proud to be an Official Travel Trade partner for the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo and over 10,000 clients have been with us to this wonderful event and breathtaking City! Always a sell-out event, book your package now to avoid disappointment!”

Massed_Pipes_and_Drums

Glory Days Ltd have just launched our new dedicated Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo Travel Packages website.

St James Centre’s £850m Revamp

If you thought the trams were the only major changes happening in Edinburgh, you were wrong.  One of Edinburgh’s most popular shopping malls, St James Center, has just been nominated for a complete renovation, estimated to top a cool £850 million!

The St James Centre at the east end of Edinburgh city centre was completed in 1973, but was almost immediately condemned as an “eyesore” by critics and the public alike. The new St James Quarter site will be developed by TIAA Henderson Real Estate who own it, along with the council and The Scottish Government.stj

So what does this mean for the Centre, and more importantly, Edinburgh as a whole?

Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said: “Today’s announcement will transform this area of the capital, creating thousands of jobs and boosting the Scottish economy.  Surrounding areas such as Leith Street, Little King Street and Picardy Place are set for major facelifts including creation of a public transport interchange which would entice more tourists and shoppers to the City.   It is estimated Edinburgh will become of of the top 5 UK shopping destinations, rivaling Glasgow.

Boasting 42,500 square metres of shopping space over three  levels, the development will also include premium office space, an apart-hotel, a theatre and 138 flats with stunning views of the Cityscape. Many new and popular shops are set to join in, among the anticipated arrivals are: Abercrombie and Fitch, Banana Republic, Kenneth Cole, Nike, Muji, J Crew, Ted Baker, Tom Ford, Sephora, True Religion and 7 for All Mankind. The John Lewis building will remain untouched despite construction work which is due to start next year, running until 2021.

Extended car parking space is set to be added also.  With 1800 bays, the new multi-level facility would have space for three times as many cars as the current St James Centre car parks, in a move designed to conveniently accommodate the vast increase in shoppers expected to be drawn to the new shopping and leisure district.

Construction work is expected to start in 2015.

Upcoming Edinburgh Events

There is so much to see and do in Edinburgh just now, it’s jam packed with exciting events! Here are just a few lined up for April:

Until Sunday 20th = Mammoths of the Ice Age at the national Museum of Scotland, Chambers Street

Monday 21st – Saturday 26th = Fame the Musical playing at the Edinburgh Playhouse

Sunday 27th = Royal Scottish National Orchestra’s Chamber Series 13:14 – Baroque Fireworks at Dovecot Studios, Infirmary Street

Until April 27th = Field of light at St Andrews Square, beautiful light based work by British artist Bruce Munro

This is just the start of an action packed summer in Edinburgh.  Lighter nights, longer days, time to enjoy a trip to Edinburgh!

 

20 York Place Edinburgh “House History”

Did you know the history behind our Luxury York Place Apartments?  They lie at the heart of a unique and magnificent World Heritage Site – Edinburgh, a site recognized by UNESCO as having outstanding universal value.  Number 20 York Place is listed by Historic Scotland as a category A building, and who describe it as:

‘Part of the Edinburgh New Town A Group, one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain’

Caption will go here

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Until 1811 the house was numbered as 10 York Place, North Side.  In 1811, when it was decided to begin the practice of applying odd and even numbers to the opposite sides of streets, the house became renumbered as 20.  As one of the largest three storey classical houses in the block (with 4 bays of windows), the property became, in its early decades, the Edinburgh townhouse of several wealthy landowing families with country estates in other parts of Scotland.

Some of the residents include:

  • 1801 – James Christie of Durie Esq, a landowner and a coal mine owner
  • 1811 – James Johnstone of Alva, whom inherited his fortune from his father, John Johnstone, a successful member of the East India Company in Bengal.
  • 1815 – Sir Alexander Muir, 1st Baronet of Delvine whose estates were in Perthshire
  • 1825 – George Mercer of Gorthy Esq, another Perthshire landowner.  Mercer was a former trader and agent of the East India Company in Calcutta.
  • Mid 1830’s – The Christie family briefly take up residence again when Charles Maitland Christie Durie is recorded as being in residence
  • Late 1830’s – Sir James Montgomery, 2nd Baronet of Stanhope took up residence.  Sir James was a member of parliament for Peebleshire and served as Lord Advocate in the second ministry of Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger.
  • 1840’s – 1850’s – John Burn Murdoch Esq, an advocate in the Scottish Courts

 

In 1858 the house ceases to be a private residence, and for the next three decades the house operates a a private school known as Hunter’s School of English.  The school was headed by John M Hunter, teacher of English, who lived nearby at 25 Albany Street

In 1889, the Governors of the George Heriot’s Trust converted the premises into offices for the trust.The original 1890 and 1905 plans of the Trust’s adaptations of the interior to offices are held today by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland

George Heriot’s School was founded as a result of a bequest from George Heriot, jeweller and goldsmith to King James VI.  After the accession in 1603 of James to the English throne, Heriot moved to London, where he resided as Jeweller and Goldsmith at the Court of St James.  Heriot died childless and bequeathed £23,625 for the purpose of founding in his native city a hospital for the upbringing and education of poor fatherless children who were the sons of Edinburgh ‘freeman’.

In the late 1930’s the trust continued at number 20 but sub-let some of the offices to the offices to the Scottish Travel Association, which was renamed in the 1950’s as the Scottish Tourist Board

Did you know as well that a little East of York Place, at 11 Picardy Place was the birthplace of Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle, the writer of the Sherlock Holmes detective stories.

Facts researched by Edinburgh World Heritage.